View our 2016 schedule of playgroups here!
Connecting children and families to Northwoods nature through free play experiences that inspire wonder, discovery, and responsibility.
Wayside Wanderings Natural Play Area is located at 43135 Randysek Road in Cable. This Museum property was once the homestead of our founding director and naturalist, Lois Nestel. Lois wrote a newspaper column titled “Wayside Wanderings,” and this natural play area is named in honor of her. Wayside Wanderings contains a small loop driveway, open grassy area, and one mile of loop trails through a mixed forest. Scattered along the trail are play elements to spark your imagination.!
Nature play encourages children to learn about the wonders and secrets of the natural world.
The Wayside Wanderings Natural Play Area provides creative play, which has been shown to:
- Foster a love and appreciation for nature.
- Foster a sense of place.
- Encourage community and social development.
- Promote healthy lifestyles.
- Enhance academic achievement.
- Counteract Nature Deficit Disorder.
- Reduce some symptoms of ADD/ADHD.